This post is a spin off a viral video I recently saw. It was light years ago in the online community but it’s something that I wanted to step back and think about before posting. In the society we live in, it is important to jump on something viral while it’s still on everyone’s mind but the context of this video needed more depth. I believe the women who created it would agree. Check it out here: Relax, Breathe & #LetGo
After watching this I kept thinking what I would tell my younger self. I started my business at the age of 23. Many of my older friends thought this was super mature, amazing, and were proud of me – but there is a lot of anxiety, tears and confusion when you’re this young in the game.
So if I had the opportunity to speak to my younger self this is what I would tell her:
- Let them talk.Haters are going to hate, and there are going to be many! Some even disguised as your friends. Let them talk, let them try to crush your spirit. Focus on your goals; small goals and big goals. Prove them wrong with your actions. Don’t fight their words with words, fight their words with success.
- Competition should inspire you. Don’t freak out if it seems like everyone is doing this now. Set yourself apart – most people already know your unique talent, but YOU need to know this weapon of yours. Befriend your competition and work together to make a healthy market – there are enough clients out there to feed everyone, so why not work with them to accomplish fair pricing for the whole industry.
- Be Selfish. In order to sell your work, you need to look the part and in order to look the part you NEED to make time for yourself. Just “you” time. Go to that extra yoga class, eat healthy do some meditation and it’s ok to get your nails done to brighten up your day. These are all things that will help you stay strong, powerful and make you a better person which benefits your business.
- Create a schedule.Family and friends support you and you need to make time for them. There is a misconception that successful people need to be working 24-7. This is not a hard worker – this is an inefficient worker. Sleep, work, eat, and make time for those who love you. You’ll never get that back. Your health and relationships are the number one priority. Without this you would have no business.
- Remind yourself why you started.Self – explanatory.
What would you want to tell your younger self?